Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Puerto Rican Beans


I use this recipe for pinto beans, kidney beans, or any type of beans. George likes Kidney the best. Of course I owe this recipe to my mother in law. I love her dearly for her patience teaching me her wonderful recipes.


4 cups dry beans.
1 onion (chopped)
3 cloves garlic (chopped)
8 cups water + more
3 TB salt

Boil beans and ingredients in water for about 3 hours till beans are almost soft. watch them and add water as it gets low.

empty water from pot and add

1 cup sofrito (recipe on this blog under seasonings/sauces)
1 can tomato juice
3 TB salt (or to taste)
4 cups water
2 packets Sazon Goya (con culantro y achiote)
1 tsp oregano
2 bay leaves
ham chunks (optional)


boil ingredients again for another hour or 2 till beans are really soft. This makes a lot of beans and I freeze leftovers in ziplock bags for future meals.

EASY VERSION::: On a busy day you can also just throw beans, sofrito, salt, sazon, oregano, bay, ham and water - into a crockpot on high and leave it for the day. (I do about 2 cups beans if I'm gonna leave it) That works great too!!!

1 comment:

  1. sazon Goya looks like this in the grocery store. Not all stores have it. Food-for-less does.http://www.goya.com/english/product_subcategory/Frozen-Foods/Sazon-Bouillon

    ReplyDelete